What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, February 25, 2013

Good Samaritans


Back in December, back when everyone was hustling and bustling to and fro and spelunking into echoing cavernous wallets for Christmas presents for their little (and big) dears; right when all the once-a-year expenses float in the house sandwiched between Christmas cards and people are feeling their poorest~ I came here and put my heart right out there.  I did the unthinkable.  I asked for money.

Not for myself.  But for some of our dearest friends.

And back in December, when I knew that it was the worst possible time to ask, I was amazed at every.single.person whose name popped up each night and every little red cent that was given.

Of all the people who donated, I had only actually ever met ONE of them.  ONE. 

All these strangers giving of themselves at the worst possible time and for whom?  Strangers.

It was so incredible to SEE the spirit at work and not just hear about it.   One of the great hallmarks of Christianity is charity and compassion and when we exercise these gifts, God is revealed in us and through us. 

I have never been more proud of you.

Not to mention- I promised prizes and postcards in January but the busy-ness of the holidays lingered on and days passed and turned into weeks, until finally it was FEBRUARY and I (finally!) made my way with pink and green and white stacks to the post office--- did anyone send me hate mail?  Did anyone send me polite reminders or sweet "Where the HECK are they, Missus?" emails?  Not once.  You guys are the greatest.

I just had to tell you what you have done...

It was YOUR dollars and YOUR pennies that allowed me to send my friends a check on your behalf for...

$793.00!!!  

You did that!

Thank you for heaping me with grace as you waited for life at Hopestead to slow down to a brisk jog instead of the sprint it always is around the holidays.  Thank you for showing Christ to me (and my friends) in a real and tangible way- with prayers AND pennies.  Thank you for being modern day (good) Samaritans. 

Thank you, thank you.  I just can't thank you enough.  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh HOW awesome! Wish I could see your friend's faces!!! :)

Leah said...

It was our blessing to be able to give to a fellow Christian family in need. Thanks for giving us that opportunity.

Mary P said...

Amen to what Leah said. We are thankful that the Lord has blessed us so we were able to help.

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this site. It's
simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very hard to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say that you've done a amazing job with this.
In addition, the blog loads very fast for me on Internet explorer.
Outstanding Blog!

Feel free to surf to my page :: a review