What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Yarn Along


I've been excited to post with the Yarn Along this week for two reasons.
 
1) Amazing book.
 
2) Lookie, lookie!  I totally did cables!


I was at knitting class yesterday and everyone was done (or almost done) the knitting for their cable purses and I was working away (clearly at the beginning of the project.)  After the 1 1/2 hours of class, I had completed about six or seven rows and one lady piped up

"Good job, Rebecca!  By the time our next class (in two weeks) meets you might have enough for a coin purse!"

I am ridiculously slow,  I know.  But you know what?  I DID CABLES.  (So there.)

The book Song of Survival: Women Interned is just so, so good.  Tragic, heart-wrenching but amazing.  The story of three Dutch sisters and their parents interned in a Japanese internment camp during World War II along with the many other women and children in captivity.  My Dutch grandparents have, over the years, told many stories from their lives during World War II so reading this book felt very personal for me.

Unlike my usual 'reading in the evenings', I carried the book around with me and read it every free moment I had (and even moments I didn't have).  Things were neglected, I admit.

The movie Paradise Road is based upon this book and while I don't expect it to be as good (movies almost never are), I requested it through the library and it came in time to be picked up at knitting class.  I think an impromptu Mama movie night is in session for tonight. 

I guess I should get as much laundry done as possible so I can fold clothes while I watch.

Heaven forbid I just SIT and WATCH a movie, doing nothing else!  ;-)

And because they are so beautiful:

 

14 comments:

Dahle said...

I love the knitting basket! The cables are wonderful too. I totally remember when I first learned cables and how proud I felt of myself. Great job!! I may have to find that book. Sounds very interesting.

EMMA said...

Your cables are lovely and your knitting is so neat and tidy.
That book sounds awfully sad/hard to read!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

YAY!! Cables are soo much fun once you get the hang of them. I love that bright, sunshiney yellow. Hope you get your movie night...and enjoy it (NO LAUNDRY FOLDING!) :)

Julian said...

Good job!:) Sounds like a great book. Totally get it about the laundry and a movie:).
Christina

Rozy Lass said...

Haven't read the book, but I have seen the movie. It is heartwrenchingly beautiful. Glenn Close is wonderful, as is the rest of the cast. I often wonder what I would do in a similar situation. Your cables are wonderful. I made a scarf for my daughter that had cables; once you get the hang of it, it is really fun. Love that yellow color. Keep up the good work.

Ulli said...

Absoutley beautiful cables!! The entire piece is lovely and will make a gorgeous purse. Please keep this for yourself! You said once you give most of your work away, and I understand that because I do too. But you should keep this piece--you deserve it! Cant wait to see the finished purse.

BajaManna said...

Stay away from competitive knitting and go at your own speed. Knitting is a very personal activity, and everyone approaches it a bit differently. It's so much more significant that you learned to do something tricky like cables than it is to know how much time you (or anyone else) took to do that. I promise you that a couple of years from now you'll have no memory of how much time this (or any other knitting project you do) took.

Bonnie said...

Can I just swoon over that basket? And that gorgeous yellow?

CathieJ said...

I haven't tackled cables yet. Yours look great!

Leah T. said...

You're cables look beautiful!!! :) And that yellow yarn is so cheery! <3 it!

Rebecca said...

Thank you all!

CathieJ- believe me when I say, they are not nearly as hard as I thought they would be. In fact, they are kinda (dare I say it?) EASY?!?!? Try 'em! They are FUN!

Unknown said...

Love the cables!! Soooooo...I decided it wasn't so much the BLOGGING that I was tired of, it was the focus...I just needed something new... ;)

Karen Sue said...

cables are on my to do list this year. And yellow makes me happy, so I'm smiling right now, especially since today was a bit yellow after so many days of gray!
Great job. I am a slow knitter and sometimes it just doesn't fit in, but don't rub it in! I do other things, too. There is a therapy in the yarn slowly slipping through your fingers. I can dance fast or slow, but sometimes you just need to dance slow. :o)