What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Thursday, July 17, 2014

This Week In the Garden





I went to throw something in the dumpster right outside of a greenhouse only to discover hundreds of plants had just been dumped there!   Mostly peppers, I grabbed 10 packets- some quite beautiful with peppers ON them- making 60 pepper plants for free!  All of them were spicy peppers so I found homes for some of them.
 
He had just woken up and come outside to find me in the flower circle, when in a sleepy daze he got the wagon.  I think it is funny that he immediately started lugging around a wagon, even in a sleep stupor.  Boys do things like that, I guess.

Then he saw me- and he did that perfect Judah grin at me.  When he smiles- he REALLY smiles. Golly, I love this boy.






 






Planted:
24 pepper plants
lettuce 
spinach
a butterfly bush I bought at an auction for $3.00
transplanted calendula plants that self-sowed last year.
transplanted a teeny patch of corn about to be buried in squash to the rest of the corn patch

Worked on:
weeding 
walkways
tied up another level of tomato stakes (they are growing fast!)
thinned beets and kale
surrounded bean plants with coffee grounds and pepper plants with crushed eggshells


Harvested:
flowers for the house
flowers for gift bouquets
peppers
broccoli
summer squash
swiss chard
basil

Made:
bacon and swiss chard pizza
sweet pan chili with swiss chard and peppers
fresh broccoli and summer squash with ranch dip

Put Up:
 swiss chard

3 comments:

beth said...

that pizza sounds amazing. and photos for a '15 calendar abound! just sayin'...

cathie3914 said...

love the peppers - amazing!!!

your children are gorgeous :)

love your garden ....... simply stunning

and that pizza looks amazing!!!

Kathy said...

Wow....so beautiful, and soooo much more productive than my little patch has been this year. And, hmmmm...dumpster by the greenhouse....perhaps I should bookmark that for future refernece when I am at the nursery :) I love to see your sweet children and the glimpses into your life - my children are all grown, but now I have my first wee grandbaby to introduce to the wonders of God's creation, and your blog is a continuing inspiration!