What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, July 21, 2014

Weekending




















 


The sky made a perfect cloud ceiling just before coming in for dinner, the children were smitten and occupied with two adorable kittens discovered in the truck engine compartment of a visiting neighbor, the bees were busily buzzing around the bee balm (they don't call it bee balm for nothing!) and Matt was just as busily buzzing around the barn cutting, planing, gluing, figuring, trimming, sanding and working on the secret project for me.  As for me, the only thing I remember was wandering around in a bit of a haze.  I am sure I did things- I just can't remember what.  or how.  or when.

That was our weekend, in a nutshell.

The pictures above are making Matt's secret project a little less "secretive".  Am I right?

If all goes well, it will be ready for the big reunion we are having here this weekend... not that it was made for the reunion, but it was certainly just the perfect bit of incentive needed to get it started and finished- though the week has been pretty intense for him!  He is a trooper and would head out there after dinner each evening and come back in at almost 11 pm, plop into bed and do it all again the next day.

I never suggested Matt get it done in time for the party- that was his own doing- but I am just so amazed at what he was able to accomplish in just one weeks' time.  What a hard worker he is.

And for the week ahead:

 I have some serious work to do in preparation of the reunion.  I stopped counting when the mental headcount reached 45 and I was too overwhelmed to finish.  There is furniture to move around.  A secret thing to make room for.  Painting to do.  Cleaning to do.   Food stuffs to figure out and prepare.  (What will I feed these people!?!?)
Three families have not been to this place since Gram was still alive and living here- a place much different than the place that it has since become- so that adds a bit of pressure, you know?

Last month we had a bit of a false alarm with Penny's due date (we were off a heat cycle and miscounted the days) and realizing our mistake gave us a bit of extra time to prepare (though not enough~ the vacuum pump has worked well until yesterday when it went pop, fizz, bang.  Or something of that nature.  Not sure what that is going to require.  Perfect timing, right?).  Her actual due date is this Sunday and I am just praying, praying, praying she doesn't go into labor early this week.

I am pretty sure I couldn't handle that happening right now.

2 comments:

beth said...

my goodness - that last photo - what a sanctuary!

blessings to you and yours with all your preparations and through all that's ahead ~

b

Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias said...

Oh my goodness, 45 people would freak me out :)

What kind of milking system did you end up going with? Our first system had a big serge vacuum pump and 1960's belly milker. The system we have now is the one that I linked to in one of your previous posts.

We have our vacuum pump for sale but the shipping alone would not be cost effective for you. I hope Matt can get it working again.