What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Bridal Shawl (yarn along)

I finished the bridal shawl mid-summer, but who wants to wear a shawl in 80+ degree weather?  So I tucked it away until the cooler weather arrived.  And here it is!







I made it enormously long ( about 6 feet or so probably!) which wasn't really necessary but it isn't overwhelmingly so.  I like it.


For now, I am working on the calm cowl out of a creamy soft yarn (using the leftover balls I had left from the lamb hat).  It's an easy, quick and mindless pattern so it is good for working on pretty much anytime- no concentration needed.

As for books~ I have been on a Teddy Roosevelt kick for a while now and have most recently been enjoying Carry a Big Stick: The Uncommon Heroism of Theodore Roosevelt by George Grant. What a great man that Teddy was.  I have a pile of T.R.'s books from the library waiting for their turn after I am through with this- Rough Riders, Strenuous Life , and Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail .

And for my cleaning/kitchen chores- I am listening to the audiobook of Peter Schiff's book called The Real Crash: America's Coming Bankruptcy---How to Save Yourself and Your Country.  It keeps my brain busy when my eyes (and hands) are occupied.  ;-)


9 comments:

Joy said...

That Tiffany blue color is divine! It looks wonderful on you. My husband just finished Carry A Big Stick. I'll have to ask him his thoughts.

Anonymous said...

That shawl is a perfect length- so elegant wrapped around! Lovely.
I haven't read The Real Crash yet but I enjoyed Crash Course and Time to Start Thinking by Edward Luce. Really thought provoking stuff!

Donna said...

Great color! I love the drape and the length. I usually make my shawls on the longer side. It looks just perfect!

Full of Grace said...

I told you this when I saw it up close but it is GORGEOUS, Absolutely Beautiful!!! these photos don't even do it justice. As is my cowl you made me! I cannot wait to wear it!! Thank You Thank You Thank You!!! :)

Davene Grace said...

What a beautiful shawl!

Have you heard of/read the book Guest of Honor: Booker T. Washington, Theodore Roosevelt, and the White House Dinner that Shocked a Nation by Deborah Davis? I read it a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it; and since you're on a TR kick, you might find it interesting. :)

Anna said...

Beautiful !!!!
Anna

loulou said...

That is so pretty! I love the flower pattern along the edge.

Sakeenah said...

Your shawl came out so nice, great color on you!

Abigail said...

(Yeah, I'm still commenting. I thought I would stop, but today's Fat Tuesday! Time to celebrate by leaving more comments!)

Anyway.
#1. This shawl is stunning! And it also matches both of your beautiful eyes. :) Better yet! You did such a nice job on it.

#2. Teddy Roosevelt was one of my Dad's favorite historical figures! I appreciate Teddy and George Grant both, but Grant (and I could be wrong) probably doesn't address this belief of Roosevelt's of which I only learned through John a few years back. I appreciated knowing so that my praise of that accomplished and interesting man was rightfully tempered by some of his less fine beliefs. (Watch out, though! The entire site is so fascinating that one can get lost for a while...not ME, of course.) ;)